Recently the roaming rules changed within the EU. The new “roam like at home” rules mean that when you use your mobile phone while travelling outside your home country in any EU country you don’t have to pay any additional roaming charges. The new rules are intended for people who visit a country for a short period of time – it is not meant to be used for permanent roaming . If you are planning to stay for a longer period in the Netherlands, we strongly advise against roaming since you can get a big fine if you get caught.
You can choose between a contract (Abonnement) or a prepaid card. The prepaid option is easier to get and there are cards available with internet included which will save you roaming costs. You can top it up with cards from the supermarket or online.
A contract will usually work out cheaper if you know that you will use your mobile often and will stay in the country for a year or more. In order to sign a contract you’ll need:
-proof of identity
-an official bank statement
& bank account details.
If you have an unlocked phone, it’s also possible to buy only a Dutch sim card.
How to save money on international calls
Making international calls can be really expensive. One of the cheapest ways to keep in touch with your family and friends is to use an international prepaid calling card.
Prepaid international calling cards offer you a wide range of advantages on international calls:
- They usually offer the lowest rates available – you can save up to 90% of the cost of a normal call.
- You can use them from every phone (work, home, mobile and public phone)
- If you use a toll-free number, you can call from work or a friend’s phone without them being charged for the call.
- It’s easy to control your spending and avoid the ‘bad surprise’ of an astronomical monthly phone bill. Card providers offer such cheap calls because they buy high quantities of international minutes at large discounts. Prepaidzero is an international calling card provider.
Expat Mobile is a mobile phone operator specialized in the expat and student market. They provide cheap national and international rates, so you can always keep in touch with friends and family back home. No residence permit or Dutch bank account needed. So, get yourself connected with a sim card from Expat Mobile! Go to expatmobile.nl and check it out!
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129b
UvA, REC Gs.25
020 525 67 90
- Intro Borrel 28 August 2023
- EOY Goodbye Letter — Greetings from the 82nd Board! 28 July 2023
- FLASH SALE: VSPA Sweaters – LAST CALL 28 July 2023
- ‘SALTWATER THERAPY’ – BEACH DAY, June 16th 15 June 2023
Monday: 11:00 – 14:00
Tues.: 11:00 – 17:00
Weds.: 11:00 – 17:00
Thurs.: 11:00 – 15:00
Fri.: 11:00 – 17:00
There are no upcoming events.