Working in the Netherlands

Staying in the Netherlands to Work 

  • If you have an EU nationality, you don’t need a permit to work in the Netherlands.
  • If you are a graduate from Croatia or a country outside the EEA, you are allowed to spend one year in the Netherlands to find a job as a highly skilled migrant by getting an Orientation Year Permit
  • Application: you have to apply for a permit yourself for this “zoekjaar” at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), either before the expiration date of your student residence permit up to three years after graduating if you wish to travel abroad first.
  • Costs and Validity: 192 euros
  • Extension not possible: This permit is valid for a maximum of 12 months, if you are unable to find a job within the Netherlands during this one year period you would have to leave the country or acquire another type of residence permit.